Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Bored

Not much going on this evening. I actually got in a good but odd day of riding today. I had my crown installed this morning so the mouth is all back to normal. I cruised back home and met my Dad to get some corn he picked up after work. He hung around for a while and drank a beer. My tentative plan to ride Amana gravel out and back was being foiled by answered phone calls or not answered.

I finally got a return call from Brett at about 10:45 and Sugar was on the schedule. We cruised out and decided on a lighter ride and choose mostly greens with some blues/blacks thrown into the mix. The pace wasn't super high seeing how Brett was rolling his 32-18 on his Monocog, and I was rolling the 36-18 on the 'Fly. I set it up with front and rear S-Works Fast Traks the day before and was curious about the lack of cush in the front end, as well as traction.

Fortunately my fears/concerns were washed away when the Fast Trak just refused to give up grip under hard cornering. They didn't always hold the line I wanted, but they did admirable for a 50mm wide tire. What they did do awesomely was climb and roll flats. My 36-18 felt like nothing today. I was worried that gear at Sugar would feel ridiculous, but pushing the bigger tires I have this season made the setup feel effortless.

We rolled a lap and then headed to town for a beer and Mexican buffet. Yeah I said it. It was good. We got his chain retensioned after a mystery de-tensioning and headed back out. We cruised another green lap and Brett decided to head back to the truck. When we got there I was going to take my backpack and just cruise the road home, but a one Mr. Black's truck was there. He rolled up no more than a minute later and had only put in a half lap due to a lost bottle. I encouraged that we head out on a rescue mission to get it back seeing as it was an insulated bottle. Mr. Black agreed.

We proceeded to scorch a pretty fast 80% complete lap to end the day. It was an odd one seeing as the first two laps were really low pace, which I wasn't looking for. I think it turned out to be just right. We'll see after BBR ride Thursday, off-day Friday, and pre-race road bike Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment