Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Camp Ingawanis Race Report

I had mixed feelings going into this past weekend. No riding on Wednesday or Thursday. Friday I rode to work and then home. Saturday I rolled the road bike and pushed some big gears on the way home. I was feeling ok, but after Banner Lakes and then a 3rd at ScoCo, I didn't if the legs had the big efforts in them. Plus the previous season held some pretty wicked terrain.

I was psyched about riding the opposite side of the Camp though. I had no idea of what was in store, but I had a feeling it was going to be fast. I heard that it was going to be flowy, which usually means really fast. I also didn't know who was going to be showing up. I rolled up to the race with the Geoff's crew. We had a strong showing 6 deep. 2 Expert Men, 2 Expert Women, and 2 Sport Men.

Kevin and I were signed up for the Expert open. We pre-rode the course and almost immediately I knew that it was going to be the first time I'd ever bust out a 2:1 gear on my SSuperfly. It was kind of intimidating, but I knew if I was going to hang with the big boys on gears, I was going to need to roll a big gear. I set it up and patiently waited.

At the line I was feeling good. My plan was to follow Cam and Kevin for as long as possible. Both those boys can roll, and I knew on this course it would be important. Luckily the gear choice was awesome and I got into the singletrack 2nd on Cam's wheel. Things settled in immediately and somewhat comfortably. I knew the pace was going to get elevated, but it seemed like Cam was willing to keep things mellow for a little bit. About 3/4's of the way through the first lap Kev had to hold up a little and settle into his own pace.

The next two and a half laps were uneventful. I just sat in Cam's wheel and tried to hand as best as possible. It was good to sit in as there were a couple of long doubletrack and he would punch it through these every chance he got. He definitely didn't want me to get around in these sections. I held it as long as I could.

About 3/4's of the way through lap 4 I knew I had to back off a little. I had no idea how for back Kev was, but my legs were just starting to talk a little. I still felt great, I just knew I couldn't match the pace. I rolled through the start/finish with Cam still in sight, but creeping away. I held my own pace through the rest of the last lap to hold onto 2nd. Cam only openned up 33 seconds this time around so again, I'm getting closer.

This race was important as I'd never actually hung around at that pace before. The boys at ScoCo had my number lap 1. I was overtrained going into that weekend, but was ok. I still felt great but I knew I had to chill out prior to race weekend. This weekend brings Lake Aquahbi which will be another fast one. My high end is definitely there, it's just a question of again how long I'll be able to hold the strongest rider's wheels. I'm not going to be able to attack them but hopefully I'll be able to keep it close. The course is Chequemagon-ish.

Hopefully I'll be able to roll a big enough gear to not make it a blow out. I'm also going to scout Boone tomorrow and the week after. I haven't ever ridden there, so recon is imperative to take away the "local" advantage. I have a feeling it won't be the same result as Banner.

No comments:

Post a Comment