Tuesday, October 13, 2009

All right time

All right it is time to start thinking about 2010. We are only a couple of months off and it is time as I am relaxing from riding to determine what the heck I am going to do in 2010. Number 1 above all else is get married. That is huge. So racing may take a little bit of a side seat to riding. I'll still be riding, and racing too, I will just be picking more selectively. Which means that my goals for 2010 vs. 2009 will be different. My winter is going to have to be pretty good to ensure that next season is going to be worth a darn.

So screw the racing stuff. What am I going to do for a geared race bike? I really want to give racing gears a chance next season. I have options upon options, but I really think I would like to go steel. Obviously in comparison to my Superfly SS, it would be a crazy decision, but my Karate Monkey is so stiff and comfortable ride quality wise, that I could save a little cash and go that route. I could just pull the drivetrain off of the Zombie Monkey and internal that sucker out. That option will also leave the Superfly in the garage instead of in the MTBR Classified section just in case I decide to scrap the geared idea.

So the next question is which builder? I have three in mind. All three are no frills, straight bike kind of guys. Nothing wacky, or cool, just no bull shit frames. One option is actually fillet brazed, and quite honestly I feel an industry secret. Not to bring it up, but one of his frames was reviewed in MTB Action years ago and even then they raved about how well the bike rode. I have wanted one of his frames for years, and now would be a great chance to own one.

So let me know, who should build my bike? Doug Curtiss would be my no.1, followed by Walt Wehner, then Tom Teesdale. Tom is a local guy and has been building frames for 30+ years. I would love to own a bike from him, but it would almost have to be a single speed. Remember, I don't want a show queen of a bike. If you've ever seen my Superfly, the frame is raced and well used (thus the reason I kind of want a steel bike for racing, ti is going to be my 5-10 year anniversary present). So let me know who else is blowing you away. I am picky, but these builders are top notch for sure.

I just don't know what to do. I am questioning everything right now about next mountain bike race season. I just want the ride to be the last thing I am worried about. There will be plenty of other things on my mind.

In the mean time, Suck it bike. I'm relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment