Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Indy

Went over to Indianapolis this weekend to watch the 500. Most people look at auto racing and automatically think of NASCAR. This race is anything but. Imagine over three weeks of testing, qualifying, and racing. That's some serious business. Anyways I stayed at the farm as usual, and as usual got put to work after a late night Saturday night. We hit it off right, woke up early and then hit the yard for a couple of hours. John hadn't mowed his lawn for a week or so and it was looking long. I got weed wacking duty. Sounds easy enough, but the farm is a big place with a lot of buildings to go around.

After that I got to bust out the ladder and slap in some screens. That took about another hour or so. After that John called his friend Leo over to school Greg and I in some cribbage. Yeah yeah you're saying cribbage is for old people. Not so. Cribbage is for people looking to have a good time and drink some beer and count some cards. Probably the best card game ever.

Sunday brought around race day which brings about pandemonium. 300,000 fans and the 100th year since the inception of the Indy 500. Things filled up fast. The race was a little slow action wise for most, but I always dig it. Listening to those motors makes your hair stand on end. Easily one of the most awesome sounds ever. The only thing better are probably F1 cars or Moto GP bikes.

Needless to say I ate well, drank better, and had awesome company as usual. There is magic out there I tell you. Indy is a special place. Enough with the fluffy stuff.

Anyways that came right after a pretty intensive round of training. I hit it super hard 5 days before and could have used more over the weekend. That's life I guess. At least now the muscles are topped off with glycogen and such. The legs felt good today and I tempo'd home in the rain at a good pace. I've really been digging riding gears recently. I know that is a travesty and all, but my legs have really been digging the tempo thing. Especially at higher efforts.

Tomorrow will probably bring rain and crap. I don't know the status of the Indianola race this weekend so we'll have to see. I'm going to get out no matter what and straight blaze 2 hours on the bike. I need some super high levels of intensity. We're talking puking levels. And I don't puke while riding. I'm going to try tomorrow. I'm feeling a new road bike.

Pro SL.

1 comment:

  1. Banner Lakes race should be perfect, I rode there Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. It was bone dry, the inch of rain was needed for sure. Gonna be a fast race!

    ReplyDelete