Sunday, March 29, 2009

Screw Gears

So I put gears on the Superfly SS. It was a good idea in theory, but a pain in the end. I snapped the head of my crank extractor bolt trying to take the cranks off. The first removal and it failed. Thin aluminum. I used some snap ring pliers to get the stupid threaded portion out of the arm. Then I tried to put on a Jump-Stop. The seat tube flares at the BB high enough to stop that from working. I could use a road FD I have but I hate that. Doesn't work well.

I got everything rigged up at home, then took it to the shop for finishing touches. It feels fast, but scares me that there is nothing to prevent the chain from falling off the chainring. F**k it. I'm riding Ouachita SS baby! Screw that s**t. I'm doing it. I hope I don't die. I'm slapping on the Fox fork and am going to ride a 32-20. It is going to feel like an easy gear at times in the beginning, but I'm banking on the fact that by the end, it'll feel imposible. Just the way it should. It's my first enduro so I just want to finish.

I'm also slapping on the Fox Fork. I don't want to have to swap my tubeless setup and the XDX tire I'm running on the front is large enough, especially if I have some squish. It has a lockout and compression damping. I'm getting everything setup tomorrow. I'm returning the XT cassette. I'm also going to be selling the Monster Truck. After much internal debate, there will be a new frame and fork coming along to take care of me. It just does not, I repeat does not work for my hip. I don't know what it is, but it didn't and still isn't working.

Those are my ramblings. The relief and fear are setting in. I'm relieved that I'm not riding gears in some ways. Then I think about the climbs on the Womble and think about how I rode them in a 34-32 on my 26 and how a 32-20 on my SSuperfly is going to be interesting.

I'm dreaming of rocks and singletrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment