Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I guess it's still April

Well the wind hasn't let up around Iowa yet. But it is still April. We got a serious dose of temperature increase today which was amazing. On top of that the Big Boss Man let me take out his old 2008 Sworks Tarmac SL2 to get a feel for the frame sizing and ride quality. The wind was only noticible when getting hit with a decent cross wind. It was also my first ride on some decently deep carbon wheels which was amazing as well. Also my first ride on a bike featuring a BB30 standard bottom bracket. Whew that was a mouth full.

The bike rode awesome and I rode decent. I have a tweaked tendon running from my knee through my shin from the lack of warm up this weekend. It was cold enough and raining hard enough that I just forgoed it. It wasn't needed. Besides the whole slight injury thing. Oh well. That's life and racing. My legs felt pretty good as well. Big ringing some of the bigger climbs on Sugar Bottom like an idiot and then cruised into the headwind all the way home. Dropped it into the little ring for that whole stretch to let the tendon spin out and relax.

So now the decision comes down to do I pick up a 52cm or a 54cm frameset. The 54cm works with the 100mm stem that is on it and even with the 20mm offset seatpost. I took some measurements off the Gios and dropped the bars a little bit. The whole fit thing is really coming around when it comes to setting up my bikes. It really doesn't take me long any more to get them really dialed. I just don't know if I want to ride a 120mm stem. Looks goofy but even with that added length the shorter wheelbase of the bike will handle a little better as well.

Oh decisions, decisions. That new frameset will really help with the road training aspect of things. The old Gios just leaves you gassed and soaks up efforts on training rides. That isn't always bad, it just leaves you more fatigued. Also I might have to see what the old Boss man might take for his old SL2. The Sram Red components really worked well. Shifting was super fast and very snappy compared to Rival or Force. I would have to say that when next season comes around, I will definitely be thinking about them for a kit should I get just a frameset.

That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment