Friday, January 29, 2010

New Hotness

So I have been mulling over such minor geared related details as to which cassette to run. An XTR doesn't save that much weight overall, and is still pretty expensive. Well now SRAM has come to answer my concerns of lightweight and 9 speed compatibility (I actually really do like XX, just not the current price tag, or it's unproven to me durability and ability to perform in the nastiest of mucky situations). The XG-999 brings us steel cogs with one aluminum one that is replaceable. Supposedly 175 grams, which SRAM is usually accurate with, it sure looks like a gem. Time will tell, and hopefully will I.


On other fronts, a good friend wrapped up his new SWorks Stumpjumper HT 26er build. Needless to say, it came in under on weight and price compared to the complete version. The build is straight forward good stuff. It tipped the scales at 19.19lbs with pedals and a bottle cage. Specs are XO rear derailleur, XT Cassette, XTR Crank with 28-42t TA Chainrings, XX Front Dereailleur, XX Brakes, etc. Wheels are Kings on the new Alpines. Seatpost is a Thomson Masterpiece, Syntace F119 Stem, Syntace Duraflite Bar, seriously nothing over the top. Just goes to show, if you build intelligently, you can get lighter than stock, have something original, and have it be lighter and faster. It takes some work and planning, but it will be exactly what you want.

Now to keep waiting for my SWorks. I have my old crank with newer chainrings, and that is about it so far. I am still waiting on my Edge wheels, handlebar, stem, seatpost, of which Edge is waiting on seatposts, handlebars, and hubs to come in stock. I am piecing together the drivetrain currently as well. I will hopefully have an XX front derailleur on the way beginning of next week, as well as making a little trade for an XO rear derailleur. I am still deciding on what to do for shifters.

The other big thing I am waiting on is the brakes. Hope Technologies is still waiting on their shipment of the new Race X2 brakes to hit our shores. The guys down in Texas have been super cool to get me the scoop so I can score them before they hit the major distributors. I rode and owned my first set last season, and they simply work without notice or surprise. I love the fact that the levers are bushing based and that the play can be removed. I love the attention to detail. I think their floating rotor is as light as a performance based rotor should be. Their stopping power with even smaller sized rotors are impressive to say the least.

Well that's all I got.

2 comments:

  1. Keep posting the specs for us. I'm going to rebuild this spring and just starting my research.

    ReplyDelete