Sunday, February 8, 2009

International Weekend

Megan's wedding was a blast. Starting on Tuesday, Nabil's family from Brazil started showing up. His parents Simien and Diogenes, his brother Shogi, and his cousin Yan (spelling is probably all wrong.) His mother is Persian who immigrated to Brazil from Iran when she was 19. His father is Brazilian born. Wednesday was spent with the usual conversations over dinner and games afterwards. For some reason the Short Cakes' mother decided on Scategories. I don't know if you've ever spoken with someone who's main language is Portugese, but the learning curve for English is pretty challenging. So finding synonyms by the same first letter is challenging.



Wednesday was followed by another great meal prepared by the Short Cake's brother. Pork Ribs, a delicious salad, beans and other goodies. Jamie, Greg and the little ones also showed up to stay at our place since the parents place was stuffed to the brim. We came home to meet them and hung out for a while. As always the kids were ready to hang but ready for bed. We sent them packing to the bedroom and only hung out a little before bed.



Thursday night was haircut time. Got the shag hippieness off of my top. Then I picked up a new suit coat and a spiffy shirt and headed to the Rehersal Dinner. Just to find out I was supposed to be in Coralville for the actual dress rehersal. The Short Cake called me when I was all the way across town to ask me where I was cause it was starting in five minutes. Oh well. Instead I hung with Simi and Diogi while they finished up final preparations for the dinner.



Diogi speaks very little english. What english he does though is very good and he uses it like a sharp knife. Very efficiently. While him and Simi fired up some Brazilian and Persian treats (which I got to pre-sample before everyone) we chatted. How different life is in Brazil, but how similar that the families function. Simi needed to get ready for the dinner which left Diogi and I to hang together. We chatted a little which left me feeling pretty much like an *ss for not knowing any Portugese. I have to get some lessons as these people were some of the most loving and open strangers I have ever met. More on that in a minute.



The rehersal dinner. More people, more great food, and more new friends. We ate Kabob, we ate an eggplant/veggie/meat Persian specialty which was topped off by french fries. Yes they have french fries in Iran. I met Matsood and Adriana who were Nabil's Aunt and Uncle as well as their son David. I can't remember a better conversation of the weekend. Matsood is an engineer by education, but sells and maintains a very high end Persian Rug business. His wife was lovely and his son was a dead on balance of the two. We exchanged the differences between Emily and Amilia from Brazil. We found and agreed that Amilia did not exist (a reference to a song about a man who wants a woman that waits on him hand and foot.) On to home and then to bed for the big day.



Friday was spent in a blur of preparations, mishaps that come with the territory and running through the snow in leather shoes. Greg and I were enrolled (being the handsome gentlemen that we are) to be the ushers for the wedding. Unfortunately the parking lot for the wedding was a little small so we had to relocate the cars across the park into a different lot. We only had to move four. The challenge came when we had to cross the park. I go through this park everyday in the summer to get home and around it in the winter as they don't plow the paths. Megan was ensured by some bloke that these paths would be plowed. Huh. Yeah right. City of Coralville plow a multiuse path? In my dreams.



So we ran in suits through snow and did I mention that it was 45F the day of the wedding. So melt, mud, and snow was the course set for us. Since Greg and I are pretty much the epitome of James Bond/The Transporter Duo, we rocked it for everything it was worth and came away suave and cool without a spot of mud on us. The beautiful bride always has her day and I was happy to oblige. I will say that I'm not married yet. That's all I'm saying.



The ceremony was gorgeous and simple. The ceremony was in the Baha'i tradition. Megan was the defenition of a composed and gorgeous bride. She didn't bark, scream, or worry. I'm glad no one put on a bridezilla or bridesmaidzilla mask. Everything ran smoothly. The readings were done, with two being done by Shogi and Nuuri. Shogi had his memorized and was composed. The Baha'i writings are always used for readings and prayer. Nuuri sang his prayer in Persian which was awesome. The vows were exchanged, Nabil almost made Megan put her ring on herself which was funny. The kiss, voila man and wife. Then the lineup and everyone said congrats. Then more snow running, tearing down, then time to party.



The reception was great. The hall was almost completely dry except for wine for the first hour to two hour period. This threw some people off, but I was looking forward to it since I have been trying to drink very moderately in preparation for the 80. We ate well and mingled. Everything was super laid back. No special entrance for the Bride and Groom, no drawn out cake cutting process. Their were some appetizers and drinks, then an Italian buffet. On to speeches from Aubray and Shogi, and then the father/daughter dance, and the mother/son dance. Simi was very emotional during the dance. Then time for everyone to party.



This whole light drinking thing has been interesting. Usually I would have some beers, a drink, and a shot or two and then make an *ss out of myself on the dance floor and have fun. I had one drink at the wedding, grabbed the Short Cake; actually was grabbed by her Aunt Sandra (if you knew her you'd know that was a surprise) and cranked out some chicken dance. After that we went and grabbed Matsood and Adriana since they seemed like they were down to cut it up a bit. They rocked the floor. Megan's friends, the Shortcake's cousins, and both families joined in. I've never danced that much in my life.



I had a blast all in all. I can't explain to you the level of love and familial bonds that were forged this weekend. The cultures needed no time to blend. Barriers weren't broken, but were never there. The level of love that was brought to the table by both families could unfreeze the planet should it have been frozen. I'm not even married into this family, yet Matsood and Adriana, Diogenes and Simi, and Farsheed all welcomed us into their homes. And by welcomed I mean forced promises of visits.


The Baha'i faith is something I am only beginning to understand. They bring so much love and unity to everything they do. The love is physical, emotional, and unreserved. They truly piqued my interest. Being raised and educated Catholic, I have never understood the idea of a God that would only accept those baptised into it's faith into heaven, and forgive those who are baptised for murder. My education was very broad as far as religion. In my Catholic school we studied the teachings of the Koran and Mohamed, of Buddism, of the different sects of Christianity. All I could derive is that we need to be united. Religion is a beautiful mistress. She breeds strength, but dissent. She breeds love, but hate. She unites, but divides.

I learned this weekend that doesn't have to be the case. I learned that love can unite all. That there can be a religion that accepts all. And maybe this isn't 100% the case. Either way Nabil, your family shares my heart and my love. Megan, your family has always welcomed and accepted me as it's own. I love you all.

Sorry to get all emotional and stuff but it was a great weekend. Truly original. And sorry for the religious content. I don't like pushing religion onto anyone or into anything. It creates so many walls and bridges between people. It is not intended that way at all. I just wanted to share my experience of a wonderfully faithful group of people which can only be experienced first hand.

Oh and even though I missed the great weather, I got out today for about two and a half hours of pavement pounding. I think the four days off might of kicked this hip thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment