Monday, February 23, 2009

Long weekend

Well UPS decided it was a great idea to route my frame to Spencer,IA. That is around six hours away from Iowa City. So needless to say my great week, ended with the predicted kick in the balls. I predicted that one on Thursday when I was on the horn with a fellow in Bloomington. Told him the week was going to well and that something had to go wrong. I just had to open my fat mouth.

So I headed to the great white north to hang with some bike folk, and the Short Cake and her sister. Frostbike was on tap and it was my first time going. So I was excited. I needed a little pick me up for the end of the week. As it turns out, Megan lives approximately 350ft. from QBP's front door. Kind of wild.
Brett and I stayed in Uptown with Ben-Ton. We hit up Famous Daves on Friday night for some BBQ, Beers, and some Blazin' Blues. We rocked out pretty thoroughly. Then we watched Tremors III. Awesome and not anywhere near as bad as expected. We awoke to around 4-5 inches of fresh snow. Didn't even eat breakfast just drank a cup o'joe and hit the road at around 10am.

This is where things got a little nerve racking due to the fact that someone tried to put the kaibosh of us getting in. Our work sucks sometimes. Luckily Brett and I are nice people as well as intelligent and called ahead of time and explained the situation. Obviously QBP understood, and agreed and said have a safe drive up and told us the weather. I still had my doubts. That is the last time I doubt them. We got in easy as pie.


Everything was awesome. Good food, nice reps, and even better people. I ran into a former co-worker, as well as my friend Dave from high school. We basically started our future foray into the mountain bike world at the exact same time back in B-more. It had probably been at least 7 years since we had seen each other. I didn't run into Squirrel or Mark which was unfortunate, but oh well.

I saw a lot of great products. I took crap for pictures though. I was too impressed by their facilities and the overall friendliness of their employees. I knew that both were going to be that was, but until you experience something, it isn't a reality in your world. Race Face is bringing back ano. Luckily my cranks are from a limited run which were a little higher quailty in that department. I got to meet Jeff from Ergon which was nice due to the fact that I don't blogwhore myself for products. Just kidding around a little.


We ran out to Luce's that evening for pizza. Can you say Garlic Mashed Potato pizza? I can and it was quite possibly some of the best pizza I've ever had. Brett and Benton and I also put back entirely too much booze that evening. Wayyy too much. Oh well. Shit happens. Especially when you are drinking. I laced up my wheels before all of that though. More happened Sunday (we were up until 3:30am) but it was all just sitting around wasted talking about politics, guns and then eating a breakfast burrito the size of my head. Literally.


Enough of that story though. I got my frame today and built the machine up. The complete pics suck so I'll update that situation tomorrow. In the box shots and in the stand frame only are good. Frame weight came in at 2.7lbs. Complete it's sitting at right around 18.2lbs with pedals. That's hot all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment