Friday, February 27, 2009

Gravel Explore

I rode the trainer last night after dinner. It was ok, but my heart is officially outside. No matter the temps. There isn't enough snow to deter me now. I am going to get up early and pound some pavement and gravel. Hopefully a nice mix of both. I really need to pick up a nice little elevation recording device. Maybe I'll have to strap that evil computer of mine on, and overlay the details with GMAP.

Nate and I have been tooling around with this little dandy of a program for a couple of weeks now. It really opens things up in your mind as to riding locally. There is a lot of good terrain around here to be ridden, you just have to plan for it. I am hoping for a three hour stroll tomorrow morning. I also really need to crank up the intensity once it is 4 weeks and counting. Currently I am about 4.5 weeks out. So it is time.

In other news I just got the fit dialed on the 'Fly. The long wheelbase will be a little on the interesting side. I got a half link installed which helped. I got an 80mm XXX Lite stem as well. That fit like a glove once I hopped on. Cockpit length is a tad longer than on my Scout, but that is perfect. Or at least it feels longer due to the wheel base. I also figured out my little disc rotor click. It was rubbing the disc adaptor. I really wish we had a IS Disc Tab facing tool. That would help out a ton.

The biggest factor on this bike is going to be the G2 geometry. It rolls through corners. Kind of telepathically. As I said before it rips downhill, but once it gets tight (and this is on bike paths not offroad trails) it isn't the sharpest bike. But I don't have the discs fully bedded, nor do I have a 7" rotor, nor do I have metallic pads installed yet. I don't believe the 7" rotor option will be needed, but the metallics might.

Also I think that the Arches are pretty awesome rims, but I think I am already missing the size of my Delgado's. The extra width creates so much more stability to the tire at lower pressures. I might have to relace my front wheel with a Flow or a Duster. Probably leaning towards the Duster due to the 30gr lighter weight. Although I could probably just tape the stupid thing and keep it even lighter. Their bead hooks on their rims are what handles the tire's bead so well.

Enough babble. Sleep, Eat, then Ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment