Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Ride day


It had been a couple of days since I got out for a good outdoor ride. I decided to take some time off considering my schedule and it was needed. Now it is time to hit the pavement again. This time around it is going to be brutal. Miles followed by intensity. I have to contact the man and have him work me up a little plan. He's good at that kind of thing.


Anyways today I completely lost track of time. And it was pretty self explanitory. Add one new bike + 48F max temp + a day off and you get a lot of riding and stopping to show off the new wares. I hit up work, then to Adams, then to "drop" him off at class. Then south of town, along the river and to Geoff's. Then across town again to get some climbing in on the way home. It was sloppy and the bike got real dirty.


The verdict is the bike feels long. I think the cockpit length feels pretty good. Within 10mm on stem length as well as within 5mm on saddle fore/aft as well as height. The bike is a straight up rocket ship. I can feel the huge difference that G2 offers. It almost doesn't make sense why it handles that well. It's just numbers on paper, but this thing bombs downhill. I definitely need to add a half link and minus one full link to bring the wheel in a little. That'll shore up the wheelbase situation.


The bike is a dream on climbs. This is where you can really feel the massive downtube/bb area doing it's job. It transfers all the power to the rear hub. I'm glad that I picked a pretty stiff rear wheel combo, because it thus intern transfers all that power to the ground. If it were lighter it would climb faster, but I honestly think I hit it out of the ball park in terms of all around build. 18.2lbs is good enough for anyone. The weight makes it so you just spin just the right rpm up climbs. Even off road.

I am going to have to step it up this year as this bike is straight fast. I am a huge damper on it's performance. The handling is going to take some getting used to. Especially on tighter trails. It'll be just fine though. The On One fork has kept things nice and crisp in the handling department, and is way stiffer than expected. I chose it due to the fact that it features no weight restrictions, and no rotor size restrictions. This equals stiffness.


Overall a great beginning to the week. If this is my race bike for the year the long wheelbase will cater to the longer distances that I'm planning on hitting up. Registration for Levis Trow 100 just openned up and I might have to hit one more of that series. They make you pay some trail fee or something, so it's worth it to do 2-3 races at least. Oh what a shame (Big wink inserted here.)


Done.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great rig. If you ever tire of it, you know, just send it my way... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL yeah Trek would be pretty pissed I think. They said that they wouldn't produce any more "Superfly SS" frames, but I think that just means they are going to make a carbon ss and name it something else. Tricky Trek/Gary Fisher. They know people want it. They just want some shop people to flaunt it to get an idea of how popular it might be. I know the Rig has done well for them.

    ReplyDelete